Guidance following the riots across London and other areas of England – August 2011

With the current riots and disturbances occuring in and around London and indeed in other areas across the entire country, a number of our clients may find themselves affected by the situation.

If you have been affected in any way and feel that you may need to make a claim under your policy, we’d just like to remind you of what’s needed.  With this type of claim there are specific time lines to meet for insurers to be reimbursed by the local police authority.

The local police authority has a legal responsibility to reimburse anyone sustaining damage to property as the result of a riot under the Riot Damages Act 1886. Any claim under the Act must ‘’be made in writing and received by the local police authority within 14 days of the alleged incident”.

Insurers typically include within their Claims Notification Clause to the policy a requirement for any claim for riot and/or civil commotion to be notified to Insurers immediately with full supporting documentation. This needs to be received within seven days of the incident occurring specifically to prevent a recovery action being turned down by the police authority on basis that the action is time barred. Insurers are entitled to recover their outlays under the principle of subrogation.

Anyone claiming needs to be aware that they must notify their Insurers immediately of any damage but equally important is that they must be able to quantify and substantiate their losses with potentially both a schedule of loss and statement of truth within a week of the incident occurring.

Details of how to report the claim to your insurer can be found within your policy booklet, but as always, if you are in any doubt, please contact our office immediately on 01737 373222

Request a callback

    * required fieldSign up to our newsletterTerms and Conditions

    Please do not submit any sensitive data